There are lots of tips and guides about how to write a personal narrative essay…
APA (American Psychological Association) style is rather common in social sciences, and if you were assigned to write a term paper following its rules, you need to make sure you know all of them.
If you Google how to write a term paper in APA format, you will get multiple links and tons of information. Here, however, we decided to provide a quick guide to help you master APA requirements.
- Typed (Times New Roman recommended), double-spaced, 1″ margins on all sides, standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″).
- A short version of your paper title (running head, upper case) appears at the top of every page
- Main chapters: Title Page (title, author’s name and institution) Abstract, Main Body and References.
- Recommended title length – no more than 12 words
- On the title page, write your title, name and institution in a few lines in the upper part of the page
- 5 heading levels are available starting with level 1
- Do not use any irregular formatting (bold, italics) for section titles (abstract, references, etc.)
Of course, these are only the most common rules. If you need more information on the APA style, contact our specialists.
How to write term paper in general?
If, however, APA style is not your main problem, then we also have a few tips on how to write term paper in general. This assignment is very common and thus requires some skill and preparation.
- Clarify ALL requirements you have to follow in the process. Otherwise, you might be forced to redo half of the work you’ve already done.
- Start early to have plenty of time to revise and proofread. Your first draft cannot be your final, no matter what lazy people say.
- Define the topic if you were not assigned one. Try to be creative. Also, write about something controversial, i.e. something that can be argued about and is worth proving.
- Do your research. Without it, you won’t be able to write a decent paper. Keep in mind that only reliable sources should be used. Even if it is easier to take information from some suspicious website, the risk is too high.
- Write an outline. An average term paper includes three parts – introduction, main body and conclusions. There is no rule on how to write a term paper outline. Do whatever you feel is right. However, in most cases it is customary to move from general to specific. In the introduction, describe what you are researching and why, and formulate your thesis. In the main body provide evidence and refute objections. In the conclusions sum up what you have found out. You see, it’s easy enough.
- Once the outline is ready, start writing. You are working on your first draft, so there is no need to be perfect. Just let yourself go and edit it ruthlessly afterwards. Also, proofread it several times.
- Set your paper aside for a couple of days. You will notice your mistakes clearly when you return to it.
This is the algorithm that applies to basically any kind of term paper, no matter if it is a scientific research or a creative project. To get more help with APA formatting and working on your term paper, feel free to contact us.